Patriot National Hospitality recently sent out an email campaign to our agents in the Southeast Region. We were trying to cut through the normal Internet clutter with this marketing communication, so our email campaign used a musical theme. While preparing it, we were surprised to realize the number of songs that have been written about Georgia.
Songs About Georgia:
- Georgia On My Mind by Ray Charles (official state song)
- Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight & The Pips
- The Devil Went Down to Georgia by the Charlie Daniels Band
- Sweet Georgia Brown, the Harlem Globetrotters theme song
- Highway 20 Ride by the Zac Brown Band
- Statesboro Blues by the Allman Brothers
- The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia by Reba McEntire
- Me & You & A Dog Named Boo by Lobo
- Rainy Night in Georgia by Brook Benton
- Atlanta by the Stone Temple Pilots
- Doraville by the Atlanta Rhythm Section
- Georgia by Boz Scaggs
- Love Shack by The B-52’s
- (Sittin’ on the) Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
- Oh, Atlanta by Little Feat
and many more…
Florida, Virginia, even both of the Carolinas, failed to generate anywhere near the same extended playlist. What is there about the state of Georgia that inspires so much musical loyalty? We don’t pretend to know, but whatever the cause, there is no doubt our collective cultural legacy has been enriched by these many artists and their love of Georgia.
*Patriot National Hospitality is an insurance program distributed through the licensed insurance agency Patriot Underwrites, Inc.